Sunday, October 03, 2010

The parable of the wedding feast


This past Saturday we were a little late leaving on the subway to commute to my classmate's wedding ceremony. I thought we were going to experience the ignominious distinction of arriving late and finding the doors to the wedding hall locked, with only ourselves to blame. Luckily(?) we arrived with one minute or so to spare and quickly realized that the doors wouldn't be shutting at all, fortuitous(?) for those who really did arrive late. The Korean wedding itself is a whole nother blog post (if I ever get around to it that is). Let's just say the inclusion of a MC who cracked, or more precisely, attempted to crack jokes into between the officiator's spiel felt quite out of place. The two plasma TVs broadcasting the ceremony live were a bit startling to me as well, especially since the ceremony room was small and we all had decent views. And I realized again how important bowing and greetings are in formal settings in Asia (that alone took seemingly several minutes). I'm glad we were able to attend, though.

No comments: